College Basketball Season Cancellation Tracker
By: Ethan Hennessy
This page is a resource to keep track of which teams are not playing in the 2020-21 season. Check back for updates.
Last Updated 11-25-20 6:21 P.M. EST
The following teams will not be playing in the 2020-21 season (10 teams)
- Bethune Cookman (MEAC)
- Brown (Ivy)
- Columbia (Ivy)
- Cornell (Ivy)
- Dartmouth (Ivy)
- Harvard (Ivy)
- Penn (Ivy)
- Princeton (Ivy)
- UMES (MEAC)
- Yale (Ivy)
*UMES which originally was just playing a MEAC only schedule starting on January 2nd vs. Morgan State is now not playing at all in the 2020-21 season per a 11-18-20 tweet from Jeff Goodman
*The Ivy League announced on 11-12-20 all fall and winter sports including men’s basketball will not be played in the 2020-21 season.
The following teams are playing conference only schedules (12 teams)
- Alabama State (SWAC)
- American (Patriot)
- Boston (Patriot)
- Bucknell (Patriot)
- Colgate (Patriot)
- Holy Cross (Patriot)
- Lafayette (Patriot)
- Lehigh (Patriot)
- LIU (NEC)
- Loyola MD (Patriot)
- Northeastern (CAA)
- Vermont (America East)
*Northeastern announced on 11-25-20 they will not play any winter sports including men’s basketball until after 12-18-20. This eliminates all of the Huskies non-conference schedule with the exception of a Decmber 22nd game at Georgia
*LIU will only play an 18 game conference schedule per LIU beat reporter Nelson Castillo on 11-16-20
*Per Jeff Goodman on 11-15-20 Alabama State announced they will play a conference only schedule beginning on January 2nd 2021
*Vermont announced on 11-15-20 winter sports will not return to play until December 18th (which is when America East play starts for the Catamounts) thus eliminating their non-conference schedule
- Lance Irvin head coach of Chicago State has medically opted out of coaching the cougars this season. Associate head coach Rodell Davis will be the acting head coach.
- The Volunteer Classic featuring Tennessee, Charlotte, and VCU scheduled to be played in Knoxville TN has been scrapped.
- The Ole Miss MTE featuring Ole Miss, Central Arkansas, Arkansas State, and Jackson State scheduled to be played in Oxford will not be played per a Jeff Goodman tweet on 11-23-20.
- The Catholic Clash, the annual rivalry game between Loyola MD and Mount Saint Mary’s will not be played this year due to Patriot League teams playing a conference only schedule.
- The Washington MTE featuring Washington, San Diego, Portland State, and Cal State Fullerton scheduled to be played in Seattle has been canceled according to a Jon Rothstein tweet on 11-21-20.
- The Milwaukee MTE featuring Milwaukee, North Dakota State, and Southern Mississippi scheduled to be played at the Klotsche Center on the campus of University of Wisconsin Milwaukee has been cancelled according to the Jon Rothstein tweet on 11-21-20.
- New Mexico is relocating their program to West Texas A&M University in Canyon Texas, outside of Amarillo, according the The Mountain West Wire on 11-18-20.
- New Mexico State announced on 11-17-20 for at least the first five weeks of the season they will be staying at and playing games at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa in Phoenix AZ.
- The annual Dan Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational hosted by UTEP in El Paso Texas has been canceled this season according to a 11-16-20 tweet from local reporter Andy Morgan.
- The Northeast Conference (NEC) Tournament is shrinking this season from eight teams to four teams. Games are still at higher seeds arenas.
- The NCAA said on 11-16-20 The NCAA Tournament will be held in one geographic area. The state of Indiana and city of Indianapolis are the frontrunners for hosting the tournament.
- The Hall of Fame London Showcase featuring UMBC, Marist, Michigan, and Kentucky is not taking place this season.
- The Gavitt Games (Big East v Big Ten Challenge), and Mountain West/A10 Challenge are both not occurring this season.
- The Pac 12 China Game has been canceled.