Notable Journalistic Accomplishments
- Happening Hoops was the first source to break the news of Loyola Chicago head coach Porter Moser accepting the Oklahoma Sooners head coaching job beating other outlets such as ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, and the Athletic to the scoop by multiple hours
- As the nation’s preeminent bracketologist of the CBI and CIT Tournaments Hennessy correctly predicted 100% of the 2021 College Basketball Invitational field and has a overall success rate of 87% in four years predicting the fields of these tournaments
- HappeningHoops.com has received over 30,000 views since its inception in late 2017
- Hennessy has covered dozens of games as a credentialed media member including top 25 ranked games, postseason tournament games, and Big Ten/ACC and Big East/Big 12 Challenge games
- Hennessy hosted an award winning radio show for three years on The Source 95.1 FM in Valparaiso Indiana
- Happening Hoops has been featured in numerous news outlets such as: The Las Cruces Sun News, SB Nation, and American University’s newspaper The Eagle.
What The Experts Are Saying:
“If you’re a fan of mid-major, low-major or any basketball leagues/programs that don’t get national media coverage, Happening Hoops is the place for you! Ethan gives great content, insight and has a strong passion for the game. Any true college basketball fan will consider Happening Hoops a go-to source to add to their favorite basketball platforms.”
– Brett Putz Head Coach at Des Moines Area Community College and former Chicago State Assistant Coach
“Ethan has done a great job! Not a good job, a great job with Happening Hoops. I have seen how he has grown on Twitter, and just the way that he represents the Valley, Valpo, and the do-more-with-less teams across the country. I’m proud of him, and wish him nothing but the best moving forward!”
–Mark Adams ESPN College Basketball Analyst
“I think he brings a different perspective to it. I enjoy reading his stuff. I think he is good for the game.“
–Greg Kampe Head Coach of Oakland University and third longest tenured division one head coachGreg Kampe Head Coach of Oakland University and third longest tenured division one head coach
Ethan Hennessy is originally from Columbia Maryland, and graduated from Valparaiso University in 2020. He began his love for college basketball by going to Loyola Greyhounds games as a kid and continued that passion into college leading the student section as the caped crusader at Valparaiso. In 2016 he founded The Happening Hoops Media Brand first as a twitter account which later grew into a radio show (2017-2020), website (2017-present), and YouTube channel (2018-present). He has covered dozens of games over the years throughout the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic and appeared on Union Street Hoops (Podcast), March to the Arch (Podcast), Straight Outta WAC (Podcast), The Nosebleed Seats (Podcast), and Down to the Wire Radio (Radio Show) as a guest. In the 2021-22 season Ethan began keeping official NCAA statistics and running the replay review system for Patriot League basketball games at Reitz Arena.