College Basketball Season Cancellation Tracker
By: Ethan Hennessy
This page is a resource to keep track of which teams are not playing in the 2020-21 season. Check back for updates.
Last Updated 12-23-20 3:33 P.M. EST
The following teams will not be playing in the 2020-21 season (11 teams)
- Bethune Cookman (MEAC)
- Brown (Ivy)
- Columbia (Ivy)
- Chicago State (WAC)
- Cornell (Ivy)
- Dartmouth (Ivy)
- Harvard (Ivy)
- Penn (Ivy)
- Princeton (Ivy)
- UMES (MEAC)
- Yale (Ivy)
*Chicago State will suspend the remainder of its men’s basketball season citing “Prioritizing the health and welfare of their students”. First reported by Jeff Goodman on 12-23-20.
*UMES which originally was just playing a MEAC only schedule starting on January 2nd vs. Morgan State is now not playing at all in the 2020-21 season per a 11-18-20 tweet from Jeff Goodman
*The Ivy League announced on 11-12-20 all fall and winter sports including men’s basketball will not be played in the 2020-21 season.
The following teams are playing conference only schedules (13 teams)
- Alabama State (SWAC)
- American (Patriot)
- Boston (Patriot)
- Bucknell (Patriot)
- Colgate (Patriot)
- DePaul (Big East)
- Fordham (A-10)
- Holy Cross (Patriot)
- Lafayette (Patriot)
- Lehigh (Patriot)
- LIU (NEC)
- Loyola MD (Patriot)
- Vermont (America East)
*DePaul has not played a game yet this season, and is not scheduled to start until they play Providence on December 27th, so they will not be playing a non-conference schedule.
*Fordham has announced on 12-16 they will forgo the non-conference schedule. The Rams had six games listed on their website between Nov 25 and Dec 22nd none of which have been or will be played. They will open their 2020-21 season against GW at Rose Hill Gymnasium on 12-30-20.
*Northeastern who previously announced on 11-25-20 they will not play any winter sports including men’s basketball until after 12-18-20 is now returning to play on 12-11-20 at Massachusetts. The Huskies have been removed from the list above.
*LIU will only play an 18 game conference schedule per LIU beat reporter Nelson Castillo on 11-16-20
*Per Jeff Goodman on 11-15-20 Alabama State announced they will play a conference only schedule beginning on January 2nd 2021
*Vermont announced on 11-15-20 winter sports will not return to play until December 18th (which is when America East play starts for the Catamounts) thus eliminating their non-conference schedule
The following teams announced they cancelled the remainder of their nonconference schedule (2 teams)
- Duke (ACC) on 12-10
- Northern Iowa (MVC) on 12-13
*Ben Jacobson announced on 12-13-20 Northern Iowa will cancel the remainder of their non conference season. They had games scheduled against Wisconsin, Richmond, and Marshall.
*Coach K announced on 12-10-20 that Duke will not play anymore non-conference games.
- Lance Irvin head coach of Chicago State has medically opted out of coaching the cougars this season. Associate head coach Rodell Davis will be the acting head coach.
- The Catholic Clash, the annual rivalry game between Loyola MD and Mount Saint Mary’s will not be played this year due to Patriot League teams playing a conference only schedule.
- New Mexico is relocating their program to West Texas A&M University in Canyon Texas, outside of Amarillo, according the The Mountain West Wire on 11-18-20.
- New Mexico State announced on 11-17-20 for at least the first five weeks of the season they will be staying at and playing games at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa in Phoenix AZ.
- The Northeast Conference (NEC) Tournament is shrinking this season from eight teams to four teams. Games are still at higher seeds arenas.
- The NCAA said on 11-16-20 The NCAA Tournament will be held in one geographic area. The state of Indiana and city of Indianapolis are the frontrunners for hosting the tournament.